Wednesday, June 20, 2007

OUCH!

Today Aidric and I visited a lactation consultant to get a little help and make sure things are going as well as they can. One of the first things she did was take a look at his frenulum. (The thin piece of skin under the tongue) A NICU nurse had mentioned that he has a "short frenulum" to me once, but I had hoped it wouldn't cause him any problems. However, the lactation consultant agreed and said that he is "tongue tied". She recommended that he have it "clipped". Not only will it help him with nursing, but it will help prevent future problems with a possible speech impediment.

It made me so sad to think of putting him through another procedure; the lactation consultant actually called the clinic for me to make the appointment. She had never seen one done and was interested, so she actually went with us! As she had assured me, it really is a simple procedure. The doctor first numbed under his tonge with a cotton ball saturated with lidocaine. While I held Aidric in my lap, the doctor held his mouth open, and used surgical scissors to literally "clip" his tiny little frenulum. He cried just a little but consoled within seconds. I think this is another one that hurt me more than it hurt him!

Oh, he was also weighed during the appointment and it's official............he's a six pounder! His exact weight is 6 lbs and .4 ounces!

No comments: